New in 2015. The RCMP has added an invaluable resource to COSMOS, the City of Surrey Mapping Online System. The GHSA Resources section has a tutorial on how to use COSMOS to research development applications but now you can also search for various crime reports, posted on a six month basis, which have occurred in your area.
– break and enters (business and residential)
– auto theft
– auto break in
How to use this amazing tool?
The easiest way is to click this link: http://cosmos.surrey.ca/external/COSMOS.html?Site=Crime&Extent=514759,5433147;518233,5433128.
The helpful G.I.S. programmers at the City of Surrey recently reached out to the GSHA to provide this link which simultaneously zooms into Grandview Heights and also turns on the crime layer of COSMOS. Thanks Sean and Anders!
Once you click this link you can then zoom in and pan to your particular street/area.
Below is the step-by-step method of finding an address/area and activating the crime layers.
1. Go to COSMOS.
(note: when using COSMOS, you need to install Silverlight on to your computer. With Mac computers, Firefox is the preferred browser, not Chrome or Safari).
2. Type in your address under Property Map OR click City Map and zoom in to the neighbourhood you are interested in.
3. Once you have either typed in an address (zoom out a little or you won’t see what is going on around you) or found the neighbourhood in a scale that shows its surroundings, in the top left hand corner, Click LAYERS AND LEGENDS.
– click PUBLIC SAFETY. Two sub-menus appear: CRIME INCIDENTS (LAST 6 MONTHS) and FATAL COLLISIONS (LAST SIX MONTHS).
– if interested in Crime Incidents, click that tab. The various options will appear in a sub-menu.
– upon clicking the type of crime you are curious about, the location will then be plotted on the map with a colour/numerical coded dot. You can click all types and still distinguish them because of the specificity of this system.
For visual learners, here is a step-by-step using the address of a house under construction: 16493 26th Ave. For the example we are searching Break and Enters and Motor Vehicle theft (break-ins and actual thefts of cars)
1. Enter address into Property Map from the COSMOS splash page
2. When you get to the address, zoom out a little so the larger neighborhood is seen.
3. Click Public Safety, then Crime Incidents
4. Click Break and Enter- Residence. A red dot with a number equaling the number of incidents close to that location will appear in pertinent locations.
5. Click Theft from Motor Vehicle. A purple dot with a number equaling the number of incidents close to that location will appear in pertinent locations.
6. Click Theft of Motor Vehicles. An orange-yellow dot with a number equaling the number of incidents close to that location will appear in pertinent locations.
You can click the Panorama hand icon and drag around the map; you will stay at the same scale. Or zoom and out for different perspectives.
Thank you RCMP and City of Surrey GIS for working together to provide this incredible resource.